Paul Christoferson joined YOUNG & Associates as a Regional Consultant in 2019. He heads up the YOUNG & Associates MEP Resource group because he is a multi-talented, highly experienced consultant specializing in the MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing) trades with a career that has spanned more than 38 years overall. His extensive experience over the year’s specific to electrical construction, design and installations, project management and cost estimating has proved invaluable in insurance claims analysis, property loss assessments, estimating, and invoice and code analysis. Paul has also completed the NFPA 921 Fire Cause and Origin Analysis course for investigating fire and explosion causation. He has been a Senior CAT team member performing large-loss property evaluations, project scoping and estimating services for MEP systems on insurance claims in the wakes of major named hurricanes since 2004; Charley, Francis, Ivan, Katrina, Rita, Ike, Sandy and Harvey.
Paul holds a General Electrician license in the State of Oregon and is reciprocal in 6 other states, he also retains a State of California C-10 electrical contractor license. He has attained Level 1 Certification as an Infrared Thermographer with more than 20 years of experience performing infrared thermographic analysis, evaluations and imaging of all types of building systems.
Additionally, Paul has experience in hydraulic and cable vertical transport systems that includes machine maintenance and troubleshooting. He has also been providing consulting services on elevator and escalator transit systems for more than 18 years in the insurance claims industry. His overall operations, maintenance and modernization experience is essential in understanding repair and replacement methodologies involved with property loss claims in high-rise and low-rise buildings.
Mr. Christoferson has been a designated expert on more than 50 construction defect cases that involved understanding and interpretation of code compliance of claimed electrical issues. He has worked on both defense and plaintiff cases. As an expert witness he can be called upon to testify with respect to analysis and investigation related to electrical scope of work at the subject project, including original design and specifications, design changes, as-built conditions, scope of past and proposed future repairs, damages, standard of care, industry standards, code requirements and costs. As an expert witness he may also rebut testimony of other expert witnesses. As a named expert on many electrically related cases, Mr. Christoferson is sufficiently familiar with the process and actions in submitting to a meaningful oral deposition.
With more than 18 years in the claims consulting and legal consulting industries, and 20 years prior construction industry experience, his diverse knowledge of the construction industry from an overall perspective as a contractor/installer, client/owner representative, estimator and inspector afford him an advanced insight into construction management, forensic investigations, evaluations, scoping and estimating for any type or size of MEP or Equipment project. All of this experience provides him a real-world understanding of how projects are developed, planned, designed and built based on practical construction tasks, schedules and management.
- Electrical General Journeyman License - Oregon & California
- NEC Recurrent Code & Limited Energy Certifications - State of Oregon
- Level 1 Infrared Thermography Certification ITC
- Electronics Technology I & II
- Hydraulic & Pneumatic Design Certificate
Representative Consulting Assignments
- New Construction Data Center - Tokyo Japan | Fire/Smoke | $5.5 Billion
- Solar Plant - La Paz Mexico | Hurricane | Various Amounts
- University - San Francisco | Builder's Risk | Various Amounts
- Casino/Hotel | Hurricane | Various Amounts
- Steel Plant | Fire/Smoke | Various Amounts
- Rapid Transit - San Francisco California | Builder's Risk | Various Amounts
- Housing Complex | Hurricane | Various Amounts
- Food Processing Facility | Fire/Smoke | Various Amounts
- Solar Plant | Tornado | Various Amounts
- Airport Expansion | Builder's Risk | Various Amounts
- 2019 - Current | Regional Consultant | YOUNG & Associates
- 2016 - 2019 | Assistant Vice President | J.S. Held
- 2002 - 2016 | MEP Resource Manager | Madsen Kneppers & Associates
- 1996 - 2001 | Electrical Tech 4 | Intel Corporate Construction Services
- 1993 - 1998 | Owner | The Electric Company/Electrical Contracting
- 1985 - 1991 | Electrician | Multiple Contractors in Northern California
- West Valley College | Saratoga, CA
Electronics Engineering I & II - Engineering