Paul Christoferson joined YOUNG & Associates as a Regional Consultant in 2019. He is a multi-talented, highly experienced consultant specializing in the MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing) trades with a career that has spanned more than 40 years overall. His extensive experience over the year’s specific to electrical construction, design and installations, project management and cost estimating has proved invaluable in insurance claims analysis, property loss assessments, estimating, and invoice and code analysis.
His credentials include completion of the NFPA 921 Fire Cause and Origin Analysis for investigating fire and explosion causation. He has been a Senior CAT team member performing large-loss property evaluations, project scoping and estimating services for MEP systems on insurance claims in the wakes of major named hurricanes since 2004.
As an electrical contractor he was licensed in State of Oregon since 1991 and California since 2002, he has attained Level 1 Certification as an Infrared Thermographer with more than 25 years of experience performing infrared thermographic analysis, evaluations, and imaging of all types of building systems. Additionally, Paul has been providing consulting services on elevator and escalator transit systems for more than 20 years in the insurance claims industry. His overall operations, maintenance and modernization experience is essential in understanding repair and replacement methodologies involved with property loss claims in high-rise and low-rise buildings. He is also a specialist in diesel and continuous power generator systems for emergency, standby and backup power systems.
Mr. Christoferson has been a designated expert on more than 50 construction defect cases that involved understanding and interpretation of code compliance of claimed electrical issues. He has worked on both defense and plaintiff cases. As an expert witness he can be called upon to testify with respect to analysis and investigation related to electrical projects, including original design and specifications, design changes, as-built conditions, scope of past and proposed future repairs, damages, standard of care, industry standards, code requirements and costs. As a named expert witness on many electrical cases he may also rebut testimony of other expert witnesses and he is sufficiently familiar with the process and actions in submitting to a meaningful oral deposition.
With more than 20 years in the claims consulting and legal consulting industries, and 20 years prior construction industry experience, his diverse knowledge of the construction industry from an overall perspective as a contractor/installer, client/owner representative, estimator and inspector afford him an advanced insight into construction management, forensic investigations, evaluations, scoping and estimating for any type or size of MEP or Equipment project. All of this experience provides him a real-world understanding of how projects are developed, planned, designed, and built based on practical construction tasks, schedules, and management.
- Electrical General Journeyman License - Oregon & California
- NEC Recurrent Code & Limited Energy Certifications - State of Oregon
- Electronics Technology I & II
- Level 1 Infrared Thermography Certification ITC
- Hydraulic & Pneumatic Design Certificate
Representative Consulting Assignments
- Solar Plant | Tornado | Various Amounts
- University - San Francisco | Builder's Risk | Various Amounts
- Airport Expansion | Builder's Risk | Various Amounts
- New Construction Data Center - Tokyo Japan | Fire/Smoke | $5.5 Billion
- Casino/Hotel | Hurricane | Various Amounts
- Steel Plant | Fire/Smoke | Various Amounts
- Rapid Transit - San Francisco California | Builder's Risk | Various Amounts
- Solar Plant - La Paz Mexico | Hurricane | Various Amounts
- Housing Complex | Hurricane | Various Amounts
- Food Processing Facility | Fire/Smoke | Various Amounts
- 2022 - Current | Senior Regional Consultant | YOUNG & Associates
- 2019 - 2022 | Regional Consultant | YOUNG & Associates
- 2016 - 2019 | Assistant Vice President | J.S. Held
- 2002 - 2016 | MEP Resource Manager | Madsen Kneppers & Associates
- 1996 - 2001 | Electrical Tech 4 | Intel Corporate Construction Services
- 1993 - 1998 | Owner | The Electric Company/Electrical Contracting
- 1985 - 1991 | Electrician | Multiple Contractors in Northern California
- West Valley College | Saratoga, CA
Electronics Engineering I & II - Engineering