Over 20 years experience in the provision of insurance advisory services to loss adjusters, solicitors, insurers and re-insurers on major and complex property and energy losses, with further project management, construction and contract cost control of property and industrial engineering projects in the United Kingdom and Overseas. Experienced on losses under both operational and construction/erection policies arising from all forms of property damage such as natural disasters, fires, explosions and failures.
Responsible for leading or coordinating the team’s response on major and complex one-off and CAT losses throughout the world. Has been involved in the management, co-ordination and delivery of multi-disciplinary teams providing a wide range of engineering, geotechnical and quantum and costing advice across all aspects of the built environment. Provided the detailed quantum and cost input on many of these Losses and also the mitigation, production analysis associated with reinstatement timelines and critical path programmes for losses involving business interruption.
Work includes carrying out post-Loss damage surveys; monitoring and project management of reinstatements, co-ordinating and reporting on causation investigations, managing the engineering and costing team’s responses; leading engineering input to quantity surveyors for the provision of quantum and cost assessments; reviewing the Insured’s proposed reinstatement budgets, purchase orders, tenders and reinstatement programmes; production of notional reinstatement works programmes as comparison to the Insured’s own programmes; assisting when required with specific input on Contents and Business Interruption matters; detailed review of documentation provided by the Insured and close liaison with their advisors; and supporting Insurers and Loss Adjusters at meeting with the Insured and Insurers / Re-Insurers.
Prior to this was involved in a variety of construction and engineering projects including a variety of commercial and retail developments, tall towers, infrastructure, airfields, military facilities, port developments, power stations (thermal & combined cycle) and waste processing plants. Involved in all stages of projects from conceptual designs, option studies, outline design, production of tender documentation, detailed design and on-site supervision of construction works before moving into dispute resolution services.
Countries Worked in: Abu Dhabi, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Botswana, Bulgaria, Chile, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Czech Republic, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Latvia, Malta, Morocco, The Netherlands, Norway, The Oman, Peoples Republic of China, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Peru, Qatar, Romania, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, USA and Virgin Islands.
Representative Consulting Assignments
- 3M, Wuppertal, German | Manufacturing | Led a multi-disciplined team investigating the damages to this facility which develops and manufactures a range of microporous polymer membranes for medical and industrial following extensive floods in the region. The scope of damage to the buildings, mechanical, electrical and plumbing services as well as services linked to the production lines were assessed, quantified and costed.
- SAPREF refinery, South Africa. | Petroleum & Refineries | The refinery was impacted by 3m deep flood waters which caused damage to the infrastructure, buildings, process units, mechanical services & equipment, electrical & instrumentation and tankage. Team lead responsible for the confirmation of the scope of damage and estimate of likely costs to reinstate.
- Yasref, Yanbu, KSA | Petroleum & Refineries | Review of root cause analysis reports to a Dresser Rand reciprocating Hydrogen make-up compressor following the failure of holding down bolts and determination of scope of damage and reparability of this unit an three others impacted by the explosion.
- Jeddah Railway Station, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia | Infrastructure | Leading the teams response following a fire which broke out during the construction phase of the Foster and Partners designed station, causing significant damage to the architectural, mechanical and electrical installations. Services included the determination of the scope of reinstatement works, review of the Construction contract and documents and working with the Insured to develop a very detailed like for like reinstatement cost assessment.
- Meghnaghat CCGT Power Plant, Dhaka, Banglades | Power & Energy | Steam Turbine Failure and Fire Loss occurred. We were employed to aid the decision making process in terms of replacement or repair options, we also carried out a detailed tender analysis on the two contractors who were tendering for the reinstatement works including quantum and programme analysis due to the difficult logistics with the site on the bank of the Meghna Gat river. Cost options for temporary works were installed to reduce the Business interruption costs
- Bio Bio, Camanchaca, Landes and San Jose Fisheries, Chile | Manufacturing | Assessment of earthquake and tsunami damage and reinstatement works to 4Nr. fishery losses including quantum and costing services to the buildings and external works including final settlement meetings with the Loss adjuster. Reviewing the losses at a number of sites and providing Re-insurers and Loss adjusters with structural, mechanical and electrical building services cost advice as well as specialist engineering cost assessments for fish oil extraction, fish meal and human consumption fish products (smoked and canned fish products).
- Borouge 2, Ruwais Refinery, United Arab Emirates | Petroleum & Refineries | Management and review of teams cause of damage investigation and the extent/cost for repairs to a large Ethylene Unit auxiliary boiler following an explosion. Managing the technical assessment of repairability of the original boiler, review of proposed alternative temporary replacement boiler (technical specification and impact on overall steam balance of main Plant).
- Grundons, Colnbrook, UK | Infrastructure | Quantum and cost advice for the reinstatement of a fire damage clinical waste incinerator and materials recovery facility.
- Krishnapatnam Port, India | Infrastructure | Following a deep depression extensive rainfall and subsequent flooding impacted this ports buildings, warehousing, raw material storage areas, container terminal, materials handling, craneage and site wide infrastructure including, roads, rail and utilities and breakwaters. We determined the scope of damages consequential to the event and pre-existing before assessing the property damage claim provided. Subsequently we were also asked to determine the quantity and source of the sediment that had reduced the draft of the 13Km offshore dredge approach shipping channel, for which we used bathymetry and seabed sampling.
- Sabiya CCGT Power Station, Kuwait | Power & Energy | Scoping of damage to the process equipment and utility systems in three Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) resin and sheet production facilities following flooding by cyclone Mekunu. Review and approval of specifications, estimates and associated costs as presented by the Insured
- Octal, Salalah, Sultanate of Oma | Petrochemical, Chemicals & Gas | Scoping of damage to the process equipment and utility systems in three Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) resin and sheet production facilities following flooding by cyclone Mekunu. Review and approval of specifications, estimates and associated costs as presented by the Insured
- Arauco, Nueva Aldea, Chile | Heavy Industry | Led a team inspecting and evaluating the structural, building, mechanical, electrical and process equipment damages to a 65,000m2 plywood panel plant following a large forest fire. As well as confirming the scope of damage we advised on reinstatement timelines, quantum and costing.
- Rotem Fertilizer plant, Israel | Petrochemical, Chemicals & Gas | Led a team investigating the fire damage granulated fertilizer facility that resulted in significant damage to a screening tower, absorption system and dust collection system as well as associated steel framed structures and conveyance equipment. We subsequently advised on the costs to reinstate on a like for like basis as well as in compliance with revised codes and monitored the reinstatement of this large-scale scrubbing system.
- Sidor Steel Plant, Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela | Heavy Industry | 130 MVA EAF Transformer Damage Loss. Investigation of Causation, Property Damage and Technical Interpretation of Business Interruption Brookfield, Gas holder fire, Jersey.
- Sohar Aluminium, Sohar, Sultanate of Oman | Heavy Industry | Responsible for the review and assessment of the scope of damage, repair methodology and planned reinstatement works following a series of incidents that led to the shutdown of the facilities single reduction “Pot” Line and the freezing of all 343 operational aluminium production pots (of the 360). Also oversaw the root cause investigation, monitoring of the reinstatement works and cost assessment.
- Mandarin Oriental, Hyde Park, UK | Commercial & Public Buildings | Managed the team investigating the damage to this high-end hotel following a significant fire which damaged the superstructure, 90 hotel rooms and communal areas along with associated mechanical, electrical and piped services. Works included confirming the scope of damage, assessing possible mitigation phased works, cost estimates and reinstatement monitoring
- Hilton Caribe hotel and resort, Puerto Rico | Commercial & Public Buildings | Following the widespread hurricane damage to infrastructure, buildings, fabric, mechanical, electrical and piping systems. Led the team providing advice on the programme and the reinstatement costs associated with the reconstruction works of this 562 room resort hotel which consists of a 20 storey tower block, 12 storey main building and a 10 storey garden wing.
- Riverbay, New York, USA | Power & Energy | Managed and reviewed our reporting for a root cause analysis of compressor blade damage to a Siemens GT400 during its stripdown in Lincoln, UK which was part of a district heating and power scheme Co-op city power plant.
- O2 Arena, London, UK | Commercial & Public Buildings | Following a large storm, sections of the buildings PTFE fabric roof were significantly damaged, also leading to an ingress of rain water onto part of the retail area. Advised and investigated the mitigation measures taken to enable the arena to reopen a week later, as well as confirming the scope of damage, costs and Contract to permanently reinstate the roof covering.
- Huntsman, Pori, Finland | Petrochemical, Chemicals & Gas | Team lead assessing property damage following a significant fire in the main titanium dioxide process building causing significantly damaging the buildings structure, services and four lines of process equipment. Services including the scoping of damage to buildings, machinery and equipment, providing assistance with mitigation measures and preparation of costs for the reinstatement works
- Western Bakery, Jeddah, KSA | Manufacturing | Led a multi-disciplined team investigating the fire damage to two adjoining bakery plants. Our damage to the first plant was total and our focus was on the reinstatement costs and timelines for the plants buildings, services and process equipment which included bread, bun, maamoul and croissant lines. The adjacent Plant 3, whilst suffering a degree of direct fire and heat damage, was principally affected by substantial smoke damage and our investigations were focused on the damage to the buildings, services and the process equipment on the wafer, waffle, cupcake and puff pastry Lines, working with the Insured and their appointed cleaning contractor and OEMS to determine the scope of reinstatement, costa and timeframes.
- 2022 - Current | Senior Technical Director | YOUNG & Associates
- 2019 - 2022 | | Envista Forensics
- 2012 - 2019 | | McLellan and Partners Ltd
- 2008 - 2012 | | Mouchel
- 2007 - 2008 | | Davis Langdon & Everest
- 1994 - 2007 | | LG Mouchel & Partners
BSc (Hons) - Quantity Surveying